Wednesday 21 March 2007

Response to Comments on Web 2.0

Thanx for your comments. The Web 2.0 certainly allows us to engage in more of a 2 way i/action across the web. As a result I agree that it provides exciting opportunities to engage students of all ages in learning. It is also noticeable that this concept of web2.0 is now entering the vernacular of the mainstream... interesting article in the insight section of Saturday's edition of 'The Age' (more about that later). However I don't resile from the point that as educators we also need to carefully and attentively ensure the safety of our students. An example of this was brought home to me this week in one of the educational on-line resources that I subscribe to that was presented as a web2.0 initiative. It was for a site that "...a very useful Web 2.0 online application which allows you ...embed the player and the content on your own Web page or blog,.." Unfortunately it had in it numerous risque articles unsuitable for listing with primary educators/students. So lets use the wonderful opportunities with our students that web 2.0 offers but not take our eyes off the ball in regards to their safety.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

There is a "duty of care" for teachers to ensure the content is appropriate for young people, but I wonder if the access at home is carefully monitored? My guess is that many parents may be "illiterate" about social software their children access. The Y&Z generations have grown up with the internet, YouTube etc, but their parents ...? Would be an interesting subject for research.

Joanne said...

I also have many concerns about the 'safety' aspects of Web 2.0 and cyber bullying and have unearthed many groups trying to tackle the problem. I have found some interesting websites that I have "blogged" about on http://www.joannefle.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I can see your point Andrew this even implies in the corporate world in fact if we set up a blog and links which had inappropriate comments or links no matter how tame they are to myself it could be a dismissable offence so the stakes are high. It is a pity that we have to check thse sthings but alas it is the duty of care David

Anonymous said...

PYK8pz Hello! Great blog you have! My greetings!